Kindermusik With Notable Kids

Inspiring a Lifetime of Potential... Offering the best Music & Movement classes for babies, toddlers, & preschoolers.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Notable Kids in the News

Kindermusik brings movement, music to little ones

The Province

Monday, August 13, 2007

Name: Carolyn Hornell

Business: Kindermusik with Notable Kids, West Vancouver

Contact: 604-773-4317; www.notablekids.ca

Number of employees: Three

Years in business: Two

What do you do? We teach music and movement classes for children from newborn to seven years. We use some recorded music, singing and instruments and expose children and parents to the many benefits of music in their lives.

How did you get started? I was working as a political scientist and then I had a baby. I've always liked working for myself, so when I wanted to get back to work, I thought this business was an opportunity to do something that was child-friendly. I really enjoy working with kids, and grown-ups. It's a fun way to have a job where I can play, too. It doesn't really feel like working.

What is your biggest success? Our class sizes are increasing just through word-of-mouth and parents and kids are having a good time. We hold weekly classes in churches, but we also have some regular classes in seniors' residences to provide a multi-generational music experience. Parents say it's the best feel-good thing they do all week.

What is your biggest challenge? Dealing with the administrative stuff -- registration, marketing, paperwork. I'd love to hire someone to do it some day. The other challenge is keeping my toddler out of the instrument box I store at home.

Future plans? I am introducing my classes to pre-schools and daycares, but I'd really like to have a small commercial site, too. That's a couple of years down the road at this point.

Hardest learned lesson? Patience. It takes a while for a small business to grow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home