Kindermusik With Notable Kids

Inspiring a Lifetime of Potential... Offering the best Music & Movement classes for babies, toddlers, & preschoolers.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Need a Passport? Get in line!

I knew it would be crazy - it always is this time of year - but the passport office was insane!

My parents have decided that they can't go 6 weeks without seeing their grandchildren, so they are generously flying us all to Maui for a two week visit during their vacation. However, as of January 23rd, ALL Canadians require a passport to fly into the US. As we're leaving on the 29th, it doesn't give me the luxury of mailing in Piper's application.

We arrived at the passport office at 9:45. We left at 2:15. Yes, folks. It took 4 and a half HOURS to complete the application process. It was 2 hours standing in line just to get a number! Thank goodness Jacob (3) was at a day camp and I had arranged to have his grandma pick him up. I can't begin to imagine the nightmare had I had them both there. I am quite certain we would have all been kicked out of the office. As it was, I nearly got us kicked out when I sat on the floor in the middle of the lobby where we were queued waiting for our numbers. (There is a large sign stating that there is no sitting or standing in that particular area. When the security guard suggested to me that I wasn't allowed to sit, I referred him to the sign that indicated that we shouldn't be standing there either. I think it was the exposed breast that weakened the strength of his position...)

Piper, who never poops in the morning, had several explosive ones (and I, of course, had brought a minimal number of diapers and even fewer changes of clothes with me). Fortunately, I have a fabulous stroller with a bassinet. Several mothers used it to change diapers as we huddled like cattle, afraid to leave for fear of losing our golden opportunity to speak to a surley government worker.

Suggestions should you have to get a passport before March:

1. Apply online. You still have to wait to get your number, but once you've done the prescreening, you get bumped WAAAY up the list. People who had done that only waited about 20 minutes to see someone. This only applies to adult passports, however, as you cannot make an online application for children under 16.

2. Take water. But not too much. It's hot, but there is no bathroom on that floor.

3. Be nice to security people. They have the right to actually kick you out of the office if you're rude or disrespectful.

4. Take the Seabus across. It cost me $20 to park for the day!

5. If at all possible, mail your application in and avoid the office altogether. It's crazy!

Jacob & his Poppa 2 years ago in Maui.

2 Comments:

At 11:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooo ridiculous. We were recently talking about passports and should probably be proactive so we have them when we actually need them.

I'm sure it will all be worth it when you're basking on the beach in Hawaii!

 
At 10:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, I could picture the whole scene - hilarious! (after the fact)

Have fun at Big Beach, our fav!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home